Monday, February 20, 2012

GAME IT UP!


One of the earliest examples of video games was produced in 1947 by Thomas T. Goldsmith. Since then video games have become part of the everyday digital culture. We are even able to go to a certain channel on our cable and play video games with a remote. Video games have evolved not only by their historical/ cultural development, but also their academic development.

The book Digital Culture explains many games and how they evolved over time. In 1958, Tennisfor Two came out and ran on a oscilloscope. Video games really came out when the cold war came about. Both parties of war decided to rely on technology for attack and defenses. Because of the competitions between America and Russia, games like Spacewar emerged in 1962.  This game used a micro computer. The object of the game was to shoot torpedoes at one another without hitting other space objects.

As more and more video games started to come out, many countries started to jump on board like Japan with SEGA. Not only were computer games popular, but hand held devices started to become popular and then TV games broke out. These games were becoming so popular more space for these games were then formed. Better graphics and colors were added to enhance a “gamers” experience.

During my life I have watched video games become more and more important in the daily lives of my friends, nephews and even my older siblings.  When I was young video games were not that big of a deal to me. Now I am fascinated with all the Just Dance games. I am able to work out and move around over a video game and I find that pretty cool. Even though Just Dance is one of my favorite games, I don’t consider myself a “gamer” and don’t spend as much time playing video games as guys do.

I often hear males talk about video games and what are the best video games to play. Playing online with friends has become one of the biggest things to do now. With guys, I feel like it is a masculine thing to do. I have had several boyfriends and my nephews who will not let me play because I might mess up their score. The same goes for my brothers. It is as if they stereotype women video game players as not being very good.  I am not going to be good at twiddling my thumbs around. Huh??  Personally, I find I have more important things to do with my time.

As for the younger generation, I feel sorry for them. I recall many childhood activities such as playing in the woods, reading books, playing “Barbies”, making mud pies, scuffing up my knees riding my bike or playing soccer, and spending countless hours in the swimming pool. When I am babysitting my nephews, all they want to do is sit in front of the TV playing video games and that is great fun for them. After a while they start to look like zombies they are trying to kill in the games. I often try to turn the games off, but they can’t stand it.  They say they are bored and soon return to the video games. It’s as if they have to or need to play because they don’t know what else to do.

Video games are cool virtually because you can be someone else that you never thought you could be. However, I do believe that there is a difference between playing video games occasionally and being dominated by them to a point where they run your life.





No comments:

Post a Comment